Atlético de Rafaela played 14 years in the second division until the team won the Apertura 2002 and the Clausura 2003 to finally reach first division.
After losing the promoción against Huracán de Tres Arroyos, Atlético de Rafaela was relegated to the second division again.
The institution has also an important car racing circuit since 1919, which hosts many competitions including Turismo Carretera (since 1941) and TC 2000 (since 1983).
The 21st of May 2011, after defeating Atlético Tucumán by 2–0 with goals scored by Carniello and Aldana, they earned a spot back on the first division for the 2011–12 season.
Apart from football, Lanús hosts many other sports such as athletics, gymnastics, martial arts, handball, field hockey, roller skating, swimming, tennis, volleyball and weightlifting. In 1854 Anacarsis Lanús arrived from France and acquired the lands where he would later establish the city of Lanús, one of the biggest suburbs of Greater Buenos Aires. One of them was Lanús Athletic Club, which took part of the 1897 Argentine Primera División championship although the club then abandoned the tournament.
The other club was Lanús United (predecessor of current Club Atlético Lanús) which participated in the Copa de Competencia, organised by dissident Federación Argentina de Football in 19.
After winning the first final 3–0, Rafaela lost the second match by the same score (0–3), and had to stay in the second division once again.
Atlético de Rafaela fans are referred as Cremosos or Celestes, as well as the group of people that follows the team everywhere is known as La Barra de los Trapos .In an assemble held on 27 January 1915, the name "Club Atlético Lanús" was officially established.The club began to play its matches in División Intermedia (the second division of Argentine football league system by then) at Lanús United old stadium, located in Margarita Wield and General Deheza streets.That season the squad only achieved two wins and lost 14 games of 20.In 1926 Lanús finished 6th and the 1927 season the team finished 3rd to San Lorenzo and Boca Juniors.The stadium (with wood stands as it was usual for that time) was built on a 50,000 m2 land given by the British-owned company Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway ("Ferrocarril del Sud".